Effective Date: March 3, 2014
1. Information Collected through the Site.
A. Information You Directly and Voluntarily Provide to Us. If you are a visitor to the Site, we may collect information that you provide to us when you communicate with any of our departments such as customer service or technical services. You will also be required to provide your name and email address to us if you submit a question or message to us through the Site. If you sign up to become a registered user of the Site, you may be required to provide certain information as part of the registration process. This information will include your first and last name, email address and location.
B. Information Automatically Collected Through the Site. We may automatically collect information about you when you use the Site. For example, if you access the Site through a computer, we will automatically collect information such as your browser type and version, computer and connection information, IP address and standard web log information. If you access the Site through a mobile device, we may also be able to identify the location of your mobile device. You may choose not to share your location details with us by adjusting your mobile device’s location services settings. For instructions on changing the relevant settings, please contact your service provider or device manufacturer.
We may automatically collect information from you when you use the Site using “cookies”. Cookies are small amounts of data that are stored within your computer’s Internet browser and that are accessed and recorded by the websites that you visit so that they can recognize the same browser navigating online at a later time.
Information that may be collected by cookies when you use the Site may include, without limitation:
- the pages you visit within the Site;
- the date and time of your visit to the Site;
- the amount of time you spend using the Site;
- the Internet Protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet; and/or
- your computer and connection information such as your browser type and version, operating system and platform.
You can set your browser to reject cookies or to notify you when you are sent a cookie. However, if you disable cookies you may not be able to log in to the Site or to use certain features of the Site.
OurWitness does not have access to or control over web beacons or cookies that third party websites may use. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of these third-party websites. You are encouraged to review the privacy policies of the different websites you visit. In addition, some third-party advertising companies may provide a mechanism to opt-out of their technology. For more information about the opt-out process, you may visit the Network Advertising Initiative website, available at: http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp.
In addition, your browser may allow you to adjust your browser settings so that “do not track” requests are sent to the websites that you visit. However, OurWitness will not disable tracking technology that may be active on the Site in response to any “do not track” requests that we receive from your browser.
D. Information You Share Through Social Media Services. If you log in to the Site through a third party social media service, the comments, stories, reviews or other information that you post on the Site may also be shared through your account on the applicable social media service. In addition, your use of these social media services may result in the collection or sharing of information about you by these social media services. We encourage you to review the privacy policies and settings on the social media services with which you interact to make sure you understand the information that may be collected, used, and shared by those social media services.
F. Information You Post on the Site. If you post information on public areas of the Site that information may be collected and used by OurWitness, other users of the Site, and the public generally. We strongly recommend that you do not post any information through the Site that allows strangers to identify or locate you or that you otherwise do not want to share with the public.
2. How We Use the Information We Collect. We use the information we gather through the Site to help us better understand how the Site and our products and services are being used. By identifying patterns and trends in usage, we are able to better design the Site and our products and services to improve your experience. We may also use this information to contact and communicate with you and to respond to your communications and requests. If you are a registered user, we may email you about products and services that we believe may be of interest to you. If you wish to opt-out of receiving these emails from us, please follow the instructions contained in each email you receive from us which will allow you to opt-out of receiving further marketing communications from us.
3. How We Share Your Information with Third Parties. We do not sell or rent user information we collect through the Site to any third parties for their own marketing purposes. In the event OurWitness wants to sell or rent your information to third parties for their own marketing purposes in the future, we will notify you and you will have an opportunity to affirmatively opt-in to receiving these third party marketing communications. OurWitness does share your information with third parties in some circumstances as follows:
A. Employees, Third-Party Processors and Third-Party Service Providers. We will disclose your information to our employees, contractors, affiliates, distributors, dealers, vendors and suppliers (“Service Providers”) who provide certain services to us or on our behalf, such as operating and supporting the Site, analyzing data, or performing marketing or consulting services. These Service Providers will only have access to the information needed to perform these limited functions on our behalf.
B. Response to Subpoenas or Court Orders or to Protect Rights and to Comply with Our Policies. To the extent permitted by law, we will disclose your information to government authorities or third parties if: (i) required to do so by law, or in response to a subpoena or court order; (ii) we believe in our sole discretion that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect against fraud, to protect the property or other rights of us or other users, third parties or the public at large; or (iii) we believe that you have abused the Site by using it to attack other systems or to gain unauthorized access to any other system, to engage in spamming or otherwise to violate applicable laws. You should be aware that, following disclosure to any third party, your information may be accessible by others to the extent permitted or required by applicable law.
D. Aggregate Information. We may share information relating to users of the Site with affiliated or unaffiliated third parties on an anonymous, aggregate basis. While this information will not identify you personally, in some instances these third parties may be able to combine this aggregate information with other data they have about you, or that they receive from third parties, in a manner that allows them to identify you personally.
F. DMCA Notices. We may share your information with third parties when we forward Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) notifications, as described in our DMCA Policy located at http://ourwitness.com/dmca-policy/. DMCA notifications will be forwarded as submitted and we will not remove any personal information that may be included in the applicable notification.
4. Children Under Age 13. The Site is not intended for children under age 13, or for anyone under age 18 or the applicable age of majority without involvement of a parent or guardian. We do not knowingly collect or distribute personal information from or about children under the age of 13.
5. Security. We implement industry standard security measures intended to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. Please be aware that no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, OurWitness cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit on or through the Site and you do so at your own risk.
8. Accessing, Changing and Managing Your Information. If you are a registered user of the Site, you may make changes to the user information you have provided in connection with your account by logging in to your account and changing the applicable information. You may also request changes by contacting us at [email protected]. Following receipt of a request from you, we will take reasonable steps to update, correct or delete your information as requested.
9. Special Notice to California Residents.
A. “Shine the Light Law.” Under California Civil Code sections 1798.83-1798.84, also known as the “Shine the Light Law,” any users of the Site who are California residents are entitled to request and receive once a year, free of charge, a notice from us describing what categories of personal customer information (if any) we shared with third parties, including our corporate affiliates, for their direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year. If applicable, the notice will identify the categories of information that we shared, and the names and addresses of the third parties and affiliates with which we shared your information. If you are a California resident and would like to request a copy of this notice, please submit a written request to the following address: 4470 W. Sunset Blvd., Suite 120, Los Angeles, CA 90027 or by email at [email protected]. In your request, please specify that you want a “California Privacy Rights Notice.” Please allow at least thirty (30) days for a response.
B. Notice to California Residents Under the Age of 18. In addition, if you are a California resident under the age of 18 and are a registered user, you may request us to remove content or information posted by you on the Site by (a) submitting a request in writing to 4470 W. Sunset Blvd., Suite 120, Los Angeles, CA 90027 or by email at [email protected] and (b) clearly identifying the content or information you wish to have removed and providing sufficient information to allow us to locate the content or information to be removed. Please also note that California law recognizes that the removal of such content or information does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information posted by you on the Site (for example, if other users copied such content and posted it elsewhere). Moreover, please note that California law provides that we are not required to erase or otherwise eliminate content or information if (a) state or federal laws require us or a third party to maintain the content or information; (b) the content or information was posted, stored, reposted, or republished by another user; (c) the content or information is anonymized so that you cannot be individually identified; (d) you do not follow the instructions provided in this paragraph on how to request and obtain the removal of such content or information; and (e) you have received compensation or other consideration for providing the content. Further, nothing in this provision shall be construed to limit the authority of a law enforcement agency to obtain such content or information as authorized by law or pursuant to a court order.